Tuesday 28 February 2012

The button not seen


Today was my first polling experience. I was very excited for this day, not because I wanted to vote but because of the one day off from my work. A day off from work is such a big relief. The campaigning was on full swing by all the political parties, rallies all over the state, media coverage on its peak. Everyone is expecting a turnaround this time.  

Every Indian citizen gets this opportunity only once in five years. As a responsible and aware citizen I went to the polling station (a school, nearby) to cast my vote at around 3 O’ Clock and as expected there was no long queue at the polling center. I had no idea whom to vote. The concerned persons verified my voter identity card and then I went inside the classroom still wondering whom to give my one precious vote. There were lots of red colored buttons on the Electronic Voting Machine with different symbols ranging from ‘Cycle’ to ‘Elephant’. But I was looking for a button with no symbol. I didn’t wanted to vote anyone in the list. I wanted to vote no one. I wanted to reject them all. I have heard that Our Constitution provides us a ‘right to reject’. But I couldn’t find that button.

I took a minute or two and finally decided not to cast my vote at all. I got out of the polling booth without even voting and came to home. Rule 49 (o) of The Conduct of Election Rules, 1961 provides us a right to reject. But the government has not notified the same till date for the obvious reasons. My decision not to vote, may not be a right one, may be it was not in conformity with the true democratic spirit, maybe I did not dispense with my duty as a responsible citizen. But what is the way the way out when you don’t find any candidate worthy of your precious vote. I am waiting for the button not seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment