Monday 30 January 2012

The Diary


It was a very usual winter morning, cold, foggy and shivery. But something very unusual was to happen. I left the home for my work. I was waiting for the bus at the bus stop and suddenly I heard a bang, it was an accident. I immediately rushed at the spot. People had already gathered but no one took the initiative to take the young man to the hospital. I called an auto and took him to the nearest hospital. I was checking his bag to inform his relatives but the doctors declared him dead. Mr. Anand Sharma, read his identity card. I informed his family members only about the accident. There was also a Diary along with many other things in his bag.

Here are some excerpts from his diary which, I think, revealed the reason of his accident….

21/01/2009
Today, the company announced that it’s on cost cutting regime. List of all the victims of this austerity drive will shortly be announced. Everyone is silent. Grim atmosphere has engulfed the office. Each one is praying for himself.

27/01/2009
The list was announced today. 14 employees are retrenched. Fortunately, I escaped the noose today but another list is soon expected. Keeping my fingers crossed.

30/01/2009
I am out. This week will be my last at work. Nobody knows about this at home. I don’t have the courage to tell the truth to my family members.

02/02/2009
It was my last day at work. I haven’t told anything at home. I don’t know what I am going to do from tomorrow.

08/02/2009
It’s almost a week, daily i leave home pretending as if I am going to the office. Roaming here and there, applying for the job. But there are no jobs. At least for a year there is no vacancy. There are job cuts everywhere. Hopelessness creeping in.

This was his last entry in the diary. He met with the accident on the very next day.

When his family came, I handed over his belongings to his family except the diary. I don’t know, I was right or wrong in doing so. I am not sure; it was an accident or a suicide. But I don’t want his family to know about this.

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Priyank Malviya, I got a tweet of you of twitter and that reads you need readers, and I'm no enemy to learning, I'm always ready to learn, to get to know new things, and I read your posts, I liked them. What is surprising for me, is this one. Why you don't hand over the diary to the family, if it is not a fiction, you must hand over it, they have the right to know what their child was pls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking out time for my blog...the story ia just a work of fiction. but i appreciate your sentiments.

      Delete
  2. Nice story...written so well that i believed it to be true until read ur reply to the first comment! but had it been for real...it wud hv been better to return the diary to the family...

    ReplyDelete